Thanks to the availability of online information, patients can now take an active role in their health care. This leads them to work in partnership with their eye specialist to achieve the best possible level of eye health. If you want to visit your doctor for a comprehensive eye examination, here are some questions you can ask him or her to get more information about your vision and overall health:
Questions to ask before your tests – It is important that you know what kinds of tests you will be undergoing and what are they for. This way you will have a better understanding of what your eye specialist will be doing and how you can prepare for them. Below are some of the questions you may ask to learn more about the procedures:
- Do I need to stop any medications before the tests?
- What types of tests will I need?
- When will I get the results?
- What risks or side effects do these tests have?
- What do you expect to find out from these tests?
- What do I need to do to prepare for any of the tests?
- Will I need more tests later?
Questions to ask about your condition – Once you have already clarified what examinations you will be undergoing and the results are already available; your specialist will explain to you your condition. This is the best time to ask questions to have a better knowledge of what caused your eye problem. Read on for some of the inquiries to ask:
- What is the diagnosis?
- What caused my condition?
- Can it be treated?
- What options do I have to treat the problem?
- Should I take any medication or undergo a surgery?
- How will it affect my vision and my lifestyle?
- Do I need to make any lifestyle adjustments?
- Are there food or activities I should avoid?
- Should I watch for any particular symptoms?
- Do I have to undergo regular eye exams?
Questions to ask about your treatment – it will be best if you have a great working relationship with your eye doctor in achieving great results for your treatment. This way, it will be easier for you and your doctor to monitor your condition and see if there’s any improvement. One way to help make the treatment’s goals easier to achieve is by asking the necessary questions. To get started with the conversation, be sure to ask the following questions below.
- Is there a way to treat the condition?
- What are my options for the treatment?
- When can we start with the treatment?
- How long do I need to be on treatment ?
- How long will it take for me to see the results?
- What is the success rate of this treatment?
- What are the risks and benefits?
- Are there side effects associated with it?
- Should I avoid any medications, food, or activities before, during or after the treatment ?
- Do I need to change something in my lifestyle or daily routine while on this treatment?
- What can I expect after the treatment?
During the consultation, be sure to ask all the questions you have in your mind about your condition. Listen carefully to your doctor’s answers. If necessary, take down notes so you do not forget anything important from the discussion. You can also ask him or her for a reference on where you can find more information about your condition or the treatment being suggested.
If you want to learn more about eye exam, feel free to contact Atlas Eye. Their team of staff has the knowledge and experience in helping patients improve their vision.